Friday, July 27, 2007

July 26/07 Café

July 26

After our performance tonight, we went to Freeman's again. To cool down and refresh. I solicited comments from all of DaPeeps and a couple of DaPatrons who were present. Here are the results...

Please leave a thought/comment about tonight's Café for the blog:

Andrea and Eric's Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, after being prepared for five months was finally performed! Also, for a final hurrah, too late to make a difference, Kim tried to teach Chris what a boilermaker is - Eric

Kim just made an awesome speech about how wonderful the past seven months (of the Café) have been and how much she'll miss us when she's away for the next few months. What is she talking about? We'll miss her - who's going to do all the DaPoPo scene content?!? Keelin and Chris have been assimilated well and I was my usual busy self ordering people willy nilly! Oh, and Keelin and I remounted a scene from a Fringe show (Lear's Daughters) we did last September and I finally got all my lines right (sorry McPhee!) - Andrea

Andrea got her lines right - Keelin however didn't. Some day we'll both get it right and then the world will end. I had a great time belting my lungs out, particularly while getting my frustrated actor demons released with "Broadway Baby." Loved the crazy busyness - although poor Patio Table 1 ended up getting me for all but one of their orders. I did my best to bring variety - the beauty of the Café - being eight people at once at the drop of a hat. Going to miss these next two months, playing only one role in one show, with lines that I have to actually get right, is going to be odd. - Keelin

What can one say about a Café in which you have Elvis, sex behind a curtain and spaghetti eaten off a beautiful woman's arm? That it rocked, basically. That's about all. - Chris

What a rush! This was a great Café. Lots of monologues, scenes, music and an exclusive cult happening of Pasta Bolero. Kate and Petrucchio by Andrea and Eric was dynamic. I loved reciting love poetry to Ivan and thanks to Meghan and Gina for bringing a wonderful group to perform for! - Sher

I loved watching what my fellow improvisers did with the "I am Canadian" monologue from Four Actors in Search of a Nation: Kim did a funny interpretation as an immigrant waitress using the Canadian flag prop as an apron; Sher was a spellbinding magician making things apear or disappear with the flag; and then Eric switched gears completely, wrapping the flag around Sher's head and barking the lines at her as a torturer - it was chilling and brilliant. - Mike

We believe that intimate theatre captures the patrons' attention, like when we were brought sonnets and happenings and a scene from The Sex Play. The personalized feel of the order is appreciated . On that note, the big musical numbers are also immensely enjoyed. Highlights of the night for us: Very intimate "Farewell to NS"...awww! as well as the Geographic happening (Fugue aus der Geografie). Thanks for another awesome evening! - signed with a drawing of balloon, heart and shooting star - Meghan and Gina (Third-time DaPatrons)

Note from Kim to Garry on sheet of paper: "Garry (If you don't do it now, you won't!!)"

Garry would not be pushed to write his thoughts at the time. He was enjoying the social time with the people around him. As well he should. That was the moment we were in. The Café was past. And so am I. For a little while anyway.

I spent a good deal of time in the back room doing performances for multiple tables who had ordered the same item. I thoroughly enjoyed opening the whole Café with a robust rendition of DaBig Ensemble number "Molly Mollyz." Other yummies: giving some very intimate monologues, silliness with James and the Giant Peach (with sensory stimulation), and an extraordinarily sloppy and salivacious Pasta Bolero. This was a great night to end my run at Café DaPoPo, or perhaps I should actually call it starting my hiatus. It is other engagements that will keep me away, nothing else. These monthly performances have been like a ride at the carnival: novel, thrilling and exciting. Sometimes scary and nauseating but only for that brief moment as you hover at the top of the drop. And after the drop? Possibilities. Always and many. And now it's time for a slightly different attraction. I hope I don't vomit. - Kim

No comments: